Pot & Pets: is it safe?

March 30, 2023

Marijuana in the Home: What to Worry About?

As the legalization of marijuana becomes more widespread, it's important for pet owners to be aware of the dangers of pets getting into pot. While marijuana can have many benefits for humans, it can be toxic and even deadly for pets. Here are some reasons why pets getting into pot can be dangerous:

  1. THC toxicity: The active ingredient in marijuana, THC, can be toxic to pets. Dogs, in particular, are at risk of THC toxicity because they have more cannabinoid receptors in their brains than humans do. This can lead to symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, ataxia, and even seizures.
  2. Edibles: Edibles, such as brownies and gummies, can be especially dangerous for pets because they contain high levels of THC and can be easily accessible. Pets may be attracted to the smell or taste of edibles and can quickly consume a toxic dose.
  3. Second-hand smoke: Pets can also be affected by second-hand smoke from marijuana. Inhaling smoke can cause respiratory irritation, coughing, and other symptoms in pets, just as it can in humans.
  4. Access to plants: Pets may also be attracted to the plants themselves, whether in the form of live plants or dried marijuana. Ingesting the plant material can cause similar symptoms to THC toxicity, as well as gastrointestinal problems.

In conclusion, pets getting into pot can be dangerous and potentially deadly. If you suspect that your pet has ingested marijuana, it's important to seek veterinary care right away. To prevent accidental ingestion, be sure to keep all marijuana products out of reach of pets and dispose of any plant material safely. By being aware of the risks and taking appropriate precautions, you can help keep your pets safe and healthy.